For more than 20 years, ECPM has stood by your side in asserting loud and clear that no crime justifies a state’s will on the lives of individuals, and denounces the use of this practice as a tool of political repression. In 2022, the abolitionist community has witnessed great victories thanks to the generous donations and the hard work of our partners and volunteers in the field ; together, let us continue to move forward hand in hand towards universal abolition!
A year richer in progress than ever
Three new abolitionist countries
The Central African Republic and Papua New Guinea join the list of abolitionist countries. Equatorial Guinea abolishes the death penalty for ordinary crimes in a new penal code that will come into force at the end of December 2022 (the death penalty is still mentioned in the Constitution and in the Code of Military Justice).
Progress in the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation
At the beginning of the year, Kazakhstan ratified the OP2 aimed at abolishing the death penalty: a strong signal to the 37 other OIC members where the death penalty is still in force.
Two key announcements at the 8th World Congress against the Death Penalty
At the opening of the Congress in Berlin last November, Zambia announced abolition by the end of the year, while Liberia came out in favour of abolition. Until then, these two African countries had a de facto moratorium and had not carried out any executions since 1997 and 2000 respectively.
Your donations are precious to continue the fight
Despite these victories, the death penalty continues to deprive more than 30,000 people around the world of their right to dignity, justice and freedom. In Iran, more than 500 people have already been executed in 2022, including children: an alarming figure that represents the highest rate of executions in the country over the last five years. On the ground, our partners need our support to continue to mobilise for the most fundamental rights of political opponents, women and minorities.
What are your donations used for?
You can choose between a one-off donation or a regular donation on a monthly basis. The online transaction is secure and only takes a few minutes thanks to the HelloAsso platform. We warmly thank all those who have taken and will take part in the great success of our actions.
- Investigating the conditions on death row and denounce the conditions of incarceration of convicts
- Convincing more policy makers to support abolitionist projects
- Supporting death row inmates seeking legal assistance
- Having the death penalty recognised as a human rights violation
- Uniting abolitionists to promote greater cohesion and move faster towards universal abolition – Raising awareness of the values of abolition among secondary school students in France and in many other countries around the world
Why donate before the end of 2022?
If your taxes are paid in France, your donation entitles you to a tax reduction equal to 66% of the amount of your donations, up to a limit of 20% of your net taxable income.
- a donation of €50 costs you €17
- a donation of €100 costs you €34
- a donation of €200 costs you €68
- a donation of €500 costs you €170