ECPM ON THE SPOT
ECPM is developing action in a number of countries in order to spread the abolitionist cause far and wide. This work hinges on four essential areas. The first, federation, involves identifying actors committed to combating the death penalty and enabling them to unite their strengths. Reinforcement, the second area, aims to assist these actors in their struggle against capital punishment by providing support, be it strategic, financial, logistical, etc. This in turn can feed the third area: advocacy. This requires the organisation of high-level political meetings, the creation of awareness raising campaigns, the establishment of regular anti-death penalty events, etc. Finally, the Education section is particularly interested in raising awareness among citizens in the school environment. Through its involvement on the ground, ECPM has developed real expertise in the various obstacles to abolition which can persist in a variety of national contexts.
ECPM has been active in Morocco since 2007, in partnership with the Moroccan Coalition Against the Death Penalty, the Moroccan Human Rights Organisation, the Parliamentary Network Against the Death Penalty and the Network of Lawyers Against the Death Penalty.
Between 2001 and 2016, ECPM coordinated the Towards Progressive Abolition of the Death Penalty in Morocco project with the support of the European Union, the French Development Agency, the France Foundation and the Ile de France region.
– encouraging actors from the voluntary, political, parliamentary, media and legal sectors to work together ;
– assisting the Moroccan Coalition Against the Death Penalty (which groups together 11 organisations) ;
– boosting the first Network of Parliamentarians Against the Death Penalty in Morocco which brings together more than 250 MPs and senators from all political parties ;
– upporting the Network of Lawyers Against the Death Penalty in Morocco by encouraging exchanges of expertise and the creation of tools. Since 2015, the Network has held its first national Congress, published a study of the Moroccan Criminal Code and set up follow-up work on the conditions of detention of prisoners sentenced to death.
– encouraging the emergence of a Maghreb abolitionist network
ECPM has been active in the DRC since 2005, in partnership with the Congolese Coalition Against the Death Penalty and the NGO
– assisting the Congolese Coalition Against the Death Penalty. Regionally, a Great Lakes Coalition has already been created, recently becoming known as the Central Africa Coalition Against the Death Penalty. The Network of Parliamentarians Against the Death Penalty was initiated on 10 October 2016.